Friday, October 17, 2014

Earl Grey Cupcakes

So I’m starting to get sick of blogging. Fairly sure like no one reads this anyway. It’s so much effort when I have a normal day job and general life happenings. How do people do this? They clearly have far more passion than I do.

Anyway, that aside, I went away again last weekend. To Sydneeeeeeey (say that like Oprah). It was actually a trip down to watch the incredible David Villa play for Melbourne City, but I extended it a few days because ain’t no way I was paying all that money for flights just for 24 hours. So I spent my time wondering and eating. A few key highlights were the many Zumbo runs, The Central Baking Depot and Messina. I clearly ate far more than that, but those stick out in my mind. Also shout out to Herbie’s Spices in Rozelle who were both outstandingly awesome, and outstandingly kind! Those ladies are fantastic. Good news is that they deliver so I can have awesome spices and blends all year round!
Now however, it’s back to normal. I have no other trips planned in the foreseeable future. Not that I could afford any...

So back on track – the food. I made these a while ago for a photo shoot for my sister. She’s a designer and was using my blog in her portfolio. So the photo was also taken by a professional and is clearly much better than my normal shots....
The cupcakes were pretty awesome. The frosting is OMG-I-COULD-DIE good if you follow the tip at the end. True story.

My Nana is known for Earl Grey. Like legit, famous. You mention earl grey in my family and I will bet everything I own that everyone will just think of Nana. She has it black and weak, just in case you’re wondering.  
So these cupcakes just reminded me of her. In all the best ways.

Cupcakes:
125ml milk
4 earl grey tea bags
110g butter, softened
225g caster sugar
2 eggs
125g self raising flour
120g plain flour
Frosting:
110g butter, softened
60ml milk
1tsp vanilla
500g icing sugar

Heat the milk in a small saucepan over medium heat until just starting to boil. Remove from heat and add the teabags. Cover and let infuse for 30mins to an hour.
 
When that time is up, preheat the overn to 180oC and prep your cupcake tray with liners.
Cream the butter and sugar until pale and smooth. Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating after each.
 
Whisk together the two flours.
 
In thirds, alternate adding the flours and the milk to the batter, mixing between each step.
Spoon the mixture into the liners, about 3/4 way full.
 
Bake for 25mins or until the top is springy. Set aside to cool
 
Frosting:
Beat the butter, milk, vanilla and half the icing sugar until smooth. Slowly add the remaining sugar until you get the desired consistency.
 
Pipe onto cupcakes however your heart desires.
 
Tip: When you’re infusing the milk for the cupcakes, add in the milk for the frosting. You’ll have to remeasure again to separate it, but it adds a subtle earl grey flavour to the frosting. And then you’ll want to eat it with a spoon.

 

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you ate well when you were in Sydney. I love Herbies! These cup cakes sound delicious, but they look fantastic, perfect piping!

    ReplyDelete